Thursday 29 October 2009

Paninaro – oh, oh, oh



In 1986, the Pet Shop Boys wrote a song about an Italian youth cult, "consisting primarily of young men dedicated to fashionable clothes (particularly baggy jeans), Timberland boots, motor scooters, and large sandwiches known as "panini" (the plural of "panino"). These youngsters were referred to as "paninari" – or singular "paninaro."
In 2009 on my road trip with Disappointment, I myself became something of a paninaro, after eating two such large sandwiches – one (the nicer) in Hay-on-Wye, the other in the cafeteria of Gloucester Cathedral. The Gloucester panini, sorry, panino was pre-made, and came in a little papery/plasticky bag. It was then reheated somehow. I very much doubt it ever knew the inside of a panini press.
For more about the Pet Shop Boys song Paninaro, click here. And this is the video.

1 comment:

Gym Class Magazine said...

I remember dancing in a club in Brisbane when that song first came out... loved it... took me a while to work out they weren't singing about a "burning arrow - oh oh oh" :)